Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it’s also my favourite meal. When I was younger, during school days I would eat the usual cereal with milk option, but on weekends my mom would make my sister and I delicious Russian Blini, Russian pancakes. What differs them from normal pancakes is that they are very thin and contain yeast, which foods such as crêpes don’t have. They are so tasty and very easy to make. My dogs also love them so much, especially when I accidently drop one on the floor and they turn into the luckiest, happiest dogs on the planet. Start making this tasty Russian breakfast meal either for yourself or your family and get a little taste of the Russian culture!
Russian family recipe for blini
- 4 cups of flour
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 5 liters of milk
- 1 table spoon oh sunflower oil
-First pour the milk into a bowl. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, soda, flour, and the oil. Mix all the ingredients together until the mixture is liquid and smooth.
-Heat up a pan and grease it with oil or butter (oil preferred)
-Begin by pouring in a little bit of the mix into the center of the pan and make sure to spread it out evenly throughout the pan so that the pancake is a circular shape.
-When the corners of the pancake are a gold-brown color, it’s tip to flip it over.
-When the other side is ready, flip your pancake into a plate and start eating!
- Instead of mixing all the ingredients by hand in a bowl, use a blender to blend the mixture easily and faster.
- When do you know when to flip your pancake? Simply start flipping the pancake when the edges of the circle start to turn a golden-brown color and bubbles start to form on top.
- Don’t press your pancake against the pan, let it cook properly and wait until it is ready to be flipped over.
- When making the pancake batter, try not to make it too runny or too thick, since both result in shoddy pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes warm with either jam to eat them sweet, or butter with some meat for a salty taste.